The ultimate level of value-adding, ROI-generating investment in human capital can be called a Developmental Business Organization. This is a business organization in which the leadership focuses every unit—and every team is self-developing and self-focusing—on the systematic and systemic pursuit of ever-increasing value to all stakeholders: customers, owners, employees, and community, at minimum.
A Developmental Business Organization goes far beyond the ordinary in its ability to generate year-over-year increases in revenues, margins, and earnings due to its rates of innovation, its people’s capacities, and its ongoing pursuit of perfection in all its endeavors.
The characteristics of a Developmental Business Organization include the following:
- Values and Character: It’s people and teams think and work from principles that lead them to carry out what is right and good for each situation and all stakeholders.
- Innovation: It can generate innovations and improvements in processes, products, and work quality at rates that far exceed the competition
- Lean: It continually eliminates waste and redesigns work processes without requiring a short-term “special project” emphasis, because working toward increased efficiency and effectiveness become a part of each person’s everyday job.
- Change: It can adapt and change as needs and circumstances dictate, and can bring order out of apparent chaos with ease.
- Whole-Stream Partnering: The promise of partnering with suppliers and customers to reduce cost and increase value creation/innovation for the entire stream can be realized to its fullest potential.
See our White Paper Creating a Developmental Business Organization for a fuller discussion on this key topic.
Please contact our Change Practice Director for more information.